Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Book Club

So this starts a new series where I will occasionally reflect upon a book I have read recently. Or not so recently, depending on how much time and energy I have for reading. Lately I have been busy with children home for the summer and training for my marathon. Between those two endeavors I am either otherwise engaged or too exhausted to move. Usually both simultaneously. So please forgive me if my posts are erratic and my humor is a bit tepid. It's only two more months and one day until school starts again...

I recently finished a book that I loved called What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty. It was a quick read but having finished it two weeks ago I still find myself thinking about it and reflecting on the premise. The plot is that Alice, a 39 year old woman, falls off the bike during spin class and hits her head. Right there I was hooked because for that reason alone I have never tried spin class. Now I am even more convinced that something bad will happen to me if I do. When Alice wakes up she has forgotten the past ten years of her life and believes she is her 29 year old self. She believes she is newly married and pregnant with her first child, when in fact now she has three. Mostly she is puzzled by who she has become and is completely baffled by her life. This got me thinking; what would *my* 29 year old self think of my current 40 self?

When Alice wakes up as her 29 year old self in her 39 year old self's body the first thing that she is aware of is that time takes a toll on your body. While my 29 year old self would probably question how she got the stretch marks, varicose veins, wrinkles and surgery scars I think the first thing that would come to her mind regarding the deterioration of her physical appearance would be "what the hell happened to my boobs?". I only say that because I don't have amnesia, was there through the breast feeding of two children and still wake up every morning wondering the same thing.

Sorry 29 year old self, it just happened. Since you know what's coming you may want to beef up that savings account since plastic surgery is a bit pricey. And a word of advice: don't buy Enron.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post and am now interested in reading this book. I also love how nonchalant you rattle off how many days until the kids go back to school :)

    ReplyDelete